BLUE QUADRANT CAPITAL MANAGEMENT BLOG
In this article, we assess the outlook for the US dollar (NYSEARCA:UUP) over the medium term, particularly in light of the currency's relative under performance in 2017. Despite a further 75 basis point (bps) increase in the Federal Reserve's targeted rate band, the US dollar (USD) lost ground against most major currencies, as well as a handful of emerging market currencies.
South African financial assets have recently enjoyed strong gains on the back of the election of the perceived market reformist Cyril Ramaphosa as the new president of the country’s ruling political party, the African National Congress (ANC), in December. The country’s currency, the rand, in particular appreciated strongly in December, gaining more than 10% against the US dollar for calendar 2017. Since making a cyclical bottom in January 2016, the iShares MSCI South Africa ETF (NYSEARCA:EZA) has nearly doubled.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the United States (U.S.) Exploration and Production (E&P) sector (NYSEARCA:XOP), and in particular address some of the narratives or perhaps “myths” that continue to depress valuations in the sector or at least with respect to the smaller or mid-tier producers.
Two key events that have taken place over the past week could fundamentally reshape the appetite for global risk going forward, the first being the renewed risk of a global trade war, and the second, the outcome of the recently held Italian elections.
Blurb-In this article we discuss the relationship between the US Dollar (NYSEARCA:UUP) and crude oil (NYSEARCA:USO), arguably the most important currency and commodity in the global economy today. http://www.seekingalpha.com/article/4121543
In this article, we take a more detailed look at the most recent EIA productivity report released for October 2017 and assess what, if anything, the data means for US oil production and energy prices (NYSE:USO) as well as companies in the energy sector (NYSE:XLE) moving forward. Click here to read more
We recently put together this article on the digital currency market for Seeking Alpha. Click on the link below to read the full piece. https://seekingalpha.com/article/4099843-growing-digital-currency-market-mean-investors
- South Africa officially entered a recession in Q1 2017 and outlook remains poor.
- Weak domestic demand and stronger Rand have helped contain inflation.
- Improved inflation outlook opens the door for rate cuts in H2 2017.
- This will support South African equities and bonds, although further appreciation in the Rand from current levels does not appear sustainable.
Click on the links below:
- The Rise Of Electric Vehicles And Autonomous Driving Technology - A Contrarian Perspective
- The Rise Of Electric Vehicles - Are There Still Opportunities For Investors In The Energy Sector?
- The Rise Of Electric Vehicles: Is There A Future For Platinum?